My experience as a Digital Marketing Specialist
Have you ever though about becoming an Online Marketing or Digital Marketing Specialist? When I was first starting my career as a e-business Executive at Aitken Spence Hotels Managements in Sri Lanka 6 years back I had no idea about what would the role of an online marketer would be.
However I managed to get the job after 4-5 rounds of tough interviews and after a half a decade I have become a digital marketing specialist in my chosen field. And I’m very happy about my journey so far and I’m progressing everyday with new experiences and learning the evolving trends in the digital marketing sector.
In this article I want to share with you the role of a Digital Marketing Specialist and what exactly does a company looks when they are on the hunt for a digital marketing specialist to develop and manage the online presence of the business to deliver an increase of revenue and margin through the online business channel.
Your key responsibilities of a Digital Marketing Specialist;
Campaign Planning, Delivery and Monitoring
- Working in conjunction with the Affiliate Marketing Manager to develop and manage the online marketing plan to achieve annual GWP and profit targets within an agreed marketing budget
- Planning and managing appropriate website content and customer journey in order to drive on-site conversion
- Increasing site traffic through a mix of online marketing initiatives
- Liaising with the technical, web development and design teams evaluating new technology to further improve the company’s online capabilities and to ensure navigational links are clear and easy to use
- Delivering all campaign activity to agreed timescales
- Liaising with in-house web development and design team to ensure that all site content and navigational links are clear and easy to use.
- Ensuring that the design and feel of the site is in line with brand values
- Liaising closely with Product Development to ensure smooth implementation of new products and services on- line
- Monitoring competitor marketing activity and ensuring that the company offering is compelling whilst feeding back any required product changes to the Product Team
- Developing appropriate reporting metrics and procedures to measure effectiveness, monitoring activity against key fairness indicators and ensuring remedial action is taken as necessary, escalating issues as required
Online Customer Relationship Management
- Designing, managing and documenting the online Customer Journey through the site optimising structure for conversion and long term value
- Developing and managing the Group’s Social Media presence
- Monitoring the online reputation of the Group utilising Buzz monitoring tools and report to management on an on-going basis
- Producing, reporting and analysing all marketing activity to ensure it is within the allowable cost per sale and propose/implement remedial actions as required
- Evaluating traffic patterns within the site, implementing tracking and management information systems
- Briefing and managing external agencies, suppliers and technology partners to maintain marketing expenditure within budget
- Leading both internal marketing resource and external suppliers in order to deliver an effective communication strategy
- Successful candidates will have a proven track record working within a marketing environment with extensive experience of managing budgets and resources and planning and organising work schedules.
- Excellent communication and networking skills are essential and candidates must be able to demonstrate a strong analytical ability and a record of providing innovative and creative customer focused solutions, as well as working to tight deadlines.
- Candidates should have advanced knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint & Word and be educated to degree level or equivalent with a postgraduate level marketing qualification such as CIM or IDM.